18 Jun 2019
Donegal Digital and DEVISE European project organise a workshop in Letterkenny.
On the 28th of May Donegal Digital partnership, in cooperation with DEVISE project
(funded by Interreg Europe
programme), organised a workshop in CoLab (LYIT, Letterkenny), to identify concrete opportunities that can be implemented by companies based in the county.
We organised four breakout sessions to discuss different topics: Process Automation / Factory Automation, Digital marketing, Digital training in small businesses and Test new technologies. Regarding this last topic, representatives from local SMEs, Wisar Lab, ERNACT and multinationals like Pramerica
explored the use of innovation vouchers to allow companies to pilot the use of new digital solutions. This session was formed by digital providers only so the discussion was around how to demonstrate and engage with companies to test new digital technologies and activities where there is expertise and potential in Donegal.
Between company needs
, attendees identified the following ones:
- Internet of things
- Virtual Reality (VR) / Augmented Reality (AR)
- Digitisation for productivity
- Green technologies
, during the session they highlighted:
- Companies working in silos and not aware about the opportunities that are around.
- There is too much info about digital transformation that it is very difficult to digest and identify what is relevant for each company.
- Lack of digital skills in the demand side that makes difficult the definition, implementation and hand over the solutions once deployed.
- Interesting experience from the Ideas Lab from Pramerica which allows them to see what it works and what not.
- Construction, food and mechanical engineering identified as sectors where there is low level in relation to digital transformation.
Among pilot projects and opportunities
the participants mentioned:
- Demo centres where companies can go and experience on new technologies (mobile versions if possible, to be able to have demo shows throughout the county). Initial ones identified include: Internet of things, Virtual Reality (VR) / Augmented Reality (AR), Blockchain, Digitisation for productivity and Green technologies.
- Collaboration/networking/clustering activities.
- Design thinking workshops / hackathons.